Saturday, November 17, 2012

Project Idea #1

Creating Something with Ruby

Since I will try to help some of the non-profit organization by creating something that they are willing to have, I thought it will be a great idea to actually find out what kind of non-profits are currently demanding something that I can possibly implement using Ruby. I have used Volunteer Hawaii for it, and found out that there is one non-profit organization that is currently seeking some volunteers, which is St Francis, located in Honolulu.

According to the website, it says:

Examples of How Volunteers can help : Administrative Office Support . . . Gardening . . . Horticulture....Videographer . . . Web Design . . . Writing grants . . .Calling donors...... and Participation in special community projects.
So, I thought I may be able to help them by creating website and web application using Ruby and basic knowledge of HTML, CSS.

I do not have any specific info with regard to what kind of particular issues that St. Francis has, but web development is certainly where I will be doing for living, so I am very motivated and interested in helping them.

I have already shot an email but they said they won't be available till next monday, so I will wait with a hope of heir response saying that they are welcoming me as a technical volunteer.

Meanwhile, I will keep searching other non-profit organizations that are seeking volunteers or having any issues that I can possibly, at least try to solve.

If anyone is interested in a volunteer opportunity at St. Francis as I mentioned above, do check out the link here. And, if anyone knows or found any non-profits that are currently seeking volunteers, especially in technical field, please let me know :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shohei - thanks for sharing all the details about your attempt to contact a non-profit in such an accessible form. It does seem like a long time to wait to speak to them, so you might want to consider giving them a phone call. Although perhaps your time would be better spent contacting 4 or 5 other non-profits by email. I got a response from the non-profit up the road from me within 24 hours and had a meeting the following day. They said to me "how did you know we were having database issues?" I said, I didn't, and that I just emailed them on spec. There are all sorts of organizations that are having technical issues and haven't necessarily got to the point of asking for help. Since sending emails is low cost, you can potentially get in early by just emailing a few organizations randomly so to speak.

    Here's the email for United Self Help: director@unitedselfhelp.org

    http://unitedselfhelp.org/ush1/index.php?option=com_contact&view=contact&id=1&Itemid=3

    There's also the non-profit job listings in craigslist:

    http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/npo/

    Even if you don't want any of these jobs, it gives you emails in non-profits.

    And here's a list of Oahu non-profits:

    http://www.freshairoahu.com/deals/sponsored-links/non-profits/

    and of course there's Aloha United Way:

    https://www.auw.org/

    ReplyDelete